Thursday, July 31, 2014

Testify of the Book of Mormon to everyone

Hi all,
This past week wasn't an easy week. Remember we have been teaching a Chinese couple? The husband was doing really well. We could tell that his faith was growing a lot. His wife was busy taking care of the baby, so she only heard bits and pieces each time. We were able to teach the husband a few times, and our District Leader came to interview him when we were watching the Restoration video with him. We actually didn't tell him about the interview as we weren't sure how he was going to react, so we just told him that our "friends" would want to get to know him. Our District Leader Elder Rowe was awesome. He just took the lead and started talking to the husband. We didn't even need to worry about what to say. When the husband knew that Elder Rowe was one of our leaders, he started telling Elder Rowe how much he appreciated us. He said that we really taught him clearly and with patience. It was one of the happiest moments on my mission knowing that our investigator did appreciate our hard work. We really have developed great love for this couple. The great love I have for them helps me truly forget myself and to seek inspiration from our Father in Heaven to know how we can help them progress toward baptism. Sine the husband didn't know that he would be interviewed, we told him that it could just be a "pre-baptismal interview" to help us evaluate our teaching. But he actually passed the interview! He was already very prepared the first time we met him, and obviously Satan hasn't been very happy with him. When we met with him last Saturday, he told us that he had talked with his parents in China about getting baptized. They weren't happy with the idea of paying tithing. I can't really blame them as they don't know anything about it and can't see the blessings that come from keeping this commandment. He didn't want to upset his parents, so he won't be baptized until his parents let him pay tithing. He truly had a desire to be baptized and asked us how to "convince" his parents. Of course we didn't have the answer. We invited him to pray before talking to his parents so that he would be inspired to know what to say. He offered the closing prayer at that lesson, and it was a very sincere prayer which almost got me in tears.
I don't know if I would get the chance to see him being baptized. It really did bother me for the past few days. But I now realize that my Mission President only promised that I would baptize a lot but never did say that I would be able to "see" a lot of baptisms. I'm grateful to have the opportunity to teach this man. I know he would be baptized in the near future. I'm grateful that I was able to teach him all the lessons and to see his testimony grow. I know that someday I will be able to rejoice in the kingdom of God with all the people I have shared the gospel with if we would all endure to the end.
My companion and I have been working hard to find new investigators. I have committed myself to bear testimony of the Book of Mormon to everyone we meet. We were tracting in a rich neighborhood one day, and a man told us that we were the biggest sinners that ever walked on the earth. Surprisingly, I wasn't even mad at him. He just didn't know what he was saying. I don't know where he came from or what he went through, but I hope that someday he would be willing to hear this gospel. In that same neighborhood, we met a rude lady. She was shutting the door as we said which church we were from. As she was closing the door, I bore my testimony of the Book of Mormon to her and was able to leave a pass-along card with her. I truly believe that if we would testify of the Book of Mormon to everyone, we would be blessed with people to teach and baptize. Even if we couldn't find anyone through our own finding effort, Heavenly Father would bless us with His prepared children to teach in His own way.
Love,
Sister Leung

No comments:

Post a Comment