Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Come unto Christ

HI all,
 
This past week was a bit hard for us. First, it has been really really hot! It has been 32 degrees Celsius for the past few days. It's killer. And it should be even hotter for these couple days. I told my companion from the beginning that I felt sorry that she had to be my companion during the hottest months because I often would not be in the best mood. I'm really trying to stay cheerful though. Second, the Chinese couple that was put on date for baptism last week is now off date because they didn't come to church yesterday, which is disappointing. Actually, this past week we have only been able to teach the husband because the wife has been really busy taking care of their one month old daughter, so learning the gospel doesn't seem to be her priority right now. The husband was progressing pretty well. He has been reading the Book of Mormon and living the Word of Wisdom. We were a bit worried about his reaction when we taught him this commandment as most Chinese people drink tea, and it's just part of their culture. But he actually didn't drink tea but coffee to help him stay awake. So I shared with him how I stayed awake to study when I was in college. I never used caffeine to help but relied on Heavenly Father. He is so much more powerful than caffeine. We committed him to pray to Heavenly Father for help and to read the scriptures when he had a hard time staying awake or focused. And he hasn't had any coffee since that day.
 
I have met a lot of people that don't see the importance of church, which really frustrates me. Church attendance is just so crucial, and we can't help them progress unless they come to church. Keeping the Sabbath day holy is a commandment of God, and it's said in both the Bible and the Book of Mormon. Some people claim that they know the Bible well but would say things like " I don't need to go to church. I worship Him in my home already". The most important part of coming to church every Sunday is to partake of the Sacrament. If it wasn't important, why would Jesus Christ institute the Sacrament among His people? I know that as we partake of the Sacrament each week, we renew our baptismal covenant and fulfill this commandment that God has given us. In Preach My Gospel, it says " (We) should set this holy day apart from activities of the world by entering into a spirit of worship, thanksgiving, service, and family-centered activities appropriate to the Sabbath" When I was in BYUH, my friends and I often went to the Temple ground to feel the Spirit and to take pictures. I would invite you all to ponder what you can do on Sundays to make this day meaningful instead of just sleeping through this day.
 
I don't know how we can help this Chinese couple to get baptized. We just found out the wife would be moving back to China next month for at least six months so that her parents could help her with taking care of the baby. I don't know how she could be taught all the lessons and be baptized in less than a month. But my companion and I have been praying for guidance because Heavenly Father knows all His children perfectly. I don't know what they need but He does. We really want to have baptisms this month, but we can only do His will. So we are just going to keep working hard!
 
Love,
Sister Leung
 
P.S. I don't know how many of you have listened to the song "Come unto Christ" but would invite you all to hear it on https://www.lds.org/youth/video/come-unto-christ-2014-theme-song?lang=eng
 
"Come unto Christ" is the youth theme for this year, and I absolutely love it. I have come to know for myself that no matter what trials we are going through, there is always hope if we come unto Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment