Tuesday, February 18, 2014

What do I need to change?

Hi all,
 
I just realized 5 seconds ago that 10 months from yesterday I would be on the plane going home. That's just scary. I can't even imagine how hard I will cry when I get on the plane. I really have been enjoying serving a mission, and I think I love it more and more each day. I have seen people's lives changing because of the restored gospel. And I'm definitely a better person than I was before I came on my mission, and at the same time I know that I still have a lot to learn.
 
For the past month, we didn't really get to teach any lesson during finding. It was kind of weird. My last companion and I could usually teach 2 doorstep lessons each day. But recently, no one wanted to talk with us. So a few days ago, I started thinking about if I said things differently that I did last transfer, and yes I realized that I had to make changes on door approach. When I first came out, I was terrified of knocking on doors, and I would just say "Thank you, have a good day" when people said they weren't interested. Later, I got more bold that I would just start testifying of the Restoration once people came to the door. But this past month, I have been saying things like "Have you ever talked with missionaries?" or "Are you religious yourself?". When I pondered more about the door approach I have been using since the beginning of this transfer, I understood that we wouldn't get to teach a lot unless I changed the way I approached. It doesn't matter if people have ever talked with missionaries because obviously they still haven't accepted the gospel. Also, most people here are religious, so asking question like this just gives them a chance to say things like "We go to a Church and we are good". Since then, I have stopped asking these yes-or-no question and started bearing testimony of the Restored Gospel. And we did get a few lessons during finding within the past two days. I have prayed to Heavenly Father that we would get to share the Gospel with more people when we are more bold to testify the truth, and He has definitely answered my prayer.
 
Yesterday, Nancy (name changed) came to Church for the first time. It wasn't something easy for her as she grew up Catholic. I could tell that it took her a lot of courage to walk into the Church building. She was pretty nervous but said that she would do whatever Heavenly Father wanted from her. I really do admire her courage and her determination. It is a blessing to have met her. She has strengthened my testimony that there are lots of people ready to accept the Gospel. I know that as we pray for guidance and work hard and are exactly obedient, we will be able to find them.
 
Serving a full-time mission has been the most wonderful experience in my life. I know that we will be given opportunities to share the gospel with people around us as we pray for them. Even though I still don't feel very comfortable to talk with people on the street, I have been praying that we will be able to meet more people when we are walking on the street. I know that the Spirit is going to help us know what to say if we are willing to listen. In Doctrine and Covenants 84:85, it says "Neither take ye thought beforehand what ye shall say; but treasure up in your minds continually the words of life, and it shall be given you in the very hour that portion that shall be meted unto every man.". We are promised that we will be given words to say if we are diligently studying the words of God. I pray that you all will have the desire to share the Gospel with people around you.
 
Love,
Sister Leung
From left to right: Me, Sister Morrison, Sister Murphy (Sister Training Leader), Sister Madsen (My companion)

Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment