Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Share what matters to you

Hi all,
 
1 year ago today, I opened my mission call at BYUH. Even though it has been a year, I still clearly remember how nervous I was and how excited I was when I found out that I would be serving in the Washington Seattle Mission. Now, I have already been on my mission for a little over 8 months. I have experienced and have definitely grown a lot within these 8 months. One thing I have learned a lot on my mission is member missionary work. I wasn't the best member missionary before I came on my mission. I had only fellowshipped once, and it was because the Elders in my ward asked me to help. But I have learned a lot from the Stake Conference last weekends that we have all promised to be felloshippers when we were baptized. And I asked myself why I didn't fellowship more, and I think it was because I didn't feel like I knew much about the Gospel and was scared that I wouldn't be able to answer all the questions the investigators had. Now, as a missionary, I understand that the responsibility of a fellowshipper doesn't include answering all questions. We are not here to impress the investigators but to include them. We can always learn more about the gospel and the scriptures by discussing them with other people. We just need to be friendly and help the investigators feel welcomed. And one of the most powerful way to share the Gospel is to live it. Missionaries only get to stay in an area for a certain time, and members are the ones to help investigators stay active in the Church and become truly converted to the Gospel. I'm grateful for the wonderful message given at the Stake Conference, and I'm definitely going to be a better member missionary when I get home.
 
Last Friday, we visited Scott and Lora, who had been investigating the Church on and off for quite some time. They had been to Church a few times before I got transferred to this area. We invited Sister McDonald to go with us as she was a friend with both of them. We had a great time visiting them. We got to talk with Scott more about the baptismal service that he had attended the week before. He said that he felt like baptism would be something he wanted to have also. Lora told us that she felt so bad that she didn't get to go since she had to take care of the newborn baby. She asked us to invite her again next time as she really wanted to feel what her husband had felt. She said that Scott looked so happy when he got home from the baptismal service. They also asked lots of questions about the Church service and if there was a mother's room that she could use. They are definitely planning to come back to Church when the baby boy is two months old, which will happen in 2 weeks. They both said that they had never felt the Spirit that strongly in any other churches. They are very close to baptism!
 
Last week was the coldest week since I came out. We were tracting under -8 degrees Celsius for two evenings. Lots of members asked me if I could survive in the cold as I was from Hong Kong. And I would tell them it was so much better than 25 degrees Celsius, believe it or not. I have been enjoying the cold a lot. Also, I had been saying that I would want to see some snow. My companion commanded me not to wish for the snow as she would be the one driving in it. I got what I wanted last Saturday night. There were 2 inches of snow when we were leaving the Church building after the Stake Conference. All missionaries were not allowed to drive home. We had to leave the cars there and asked members for a ride. It was still snowing the next morning. I had so much fun playing in the snow.
 
I pray that all of you will have the courage to share the Gospel with other people and tell them what matters to you. I don't know if all your friends will accept the Gospel immediately, but I can promise you that you will make a difference in their lives. Two weeks ago, I read the newsletter of our mission and found out that the lady that I invited her to be baptized last July was baptized finally. She wasn't ready for baptism 7 months ago, but missionaries kept visiting and praying for her, and now she is a member of the Church. Don't ever give up on anyone! And we can always pray to know who needs to hear the Gospel at this time. Heavenly Father knows all His children perfectly and wants all of them to live with Him again. It's time to hasten the work of Salvation and help our brothers and sisters find the greatest joy in their lives.
 
Love,
Sister Leung
We had to leave our car at the Stake Center.



Last Sunday morning, we were waiting for the member to come pick us up.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment