Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Defend your beliefs with courtesy and compassion

Hi all,
 
This past week was pretty good. We were staying busy most of the time. I'm trying to learn the area as quickly as possible as my companion is going home after this transfer.
 
Our Bishop and Ward Mission Leader are awesome! One of our investigators met with Bishop last Wednesday. She told us that she really appreciated how Bishop was willing to listen to her and was not judgmental. She has had a rough past but desires to make changes in her life. Her older brother, who is an active member in another stake, has been really supportive also. She agrees to start talking the discussion from us and wants to be baptized. She has been smoking for many years, so we need to teach her the Word of Wisdom as soon as possible. I believe that she will be able to quit smoking as her faith in the Lord increases. Nothing is impossible with the Lord's help.
 
Both my companion and I really want to have some baptisms this transfer. We have committed ourselves not to let anyone walk by without having the chance to hear the gospel. We talked with everyone we saw this past week.

 Last Saturday, we went contacting in Downtown Burien. We talked to people at the bus stop, and we met an anti person. He told us how Mormonism was a cult and just went on and on. He also spoke really loudly so that everyone on the street could hear him. We just had a Zone Conference a few days before it and were reminded to be bold and courageous. So I boldly testified to him that I knew that this Church was true and how he could also know for himself if he would read and pray about the Book of Mormon with a sincere heart. He totally wasn't listening. He continued to attack the Church. I bore my testimony three more times before we walked away. I don't think anything I said changed his mind, but I know without a doubt that I did what I could to defend my faith. I really love what Elder Jeffrey R. Holland said in this past General Conference: " I say to all and especially the youth of the Church that if you haven’t already, you will one day find yourself called upon to defend your faith or perhaps even endure some personal abuse simply because you are a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Such moments will require both courage and courtesy on your part" I used to let those anti people say whatever they wanted to and leave when they would finally stop talking, but I have realized that I am not fulfilling my purpose as a disciple of Christ if I don't even bear my testimony of this restored gospel.
 
I will be home from my mission 4 months from today. This is really scary to me. I will continue to enjoy every moment of my mission. It truly has been a blessing to be able to serve a full-time mission. My testimony in the restored gospel has skyrocketed , and my love for the scriptures has increased tremendously. Hope you all have a great week!
 
Love,
Sister Leung

No comments:

Post a Comment