Wednesday, June 18, 2014

How blessed we are

Hi all,
 
The past week was... I don't really know how to describe it. There were definitely some good things happen, but we now don't have any investigators to teach. I don't see the need of going into detail. Let's just say that they are not willing to commit to baptism right now.
 
Last Tuesday, we had Zone Meeting and interviews with President and Sister Choi. President Choi told me that I was so much more mature than I was when he first came in to this mission, which means almost a year ago. He just always reminds me that I don't really have that much time left on my mission. Even though the number of baptisms I have had so far is not high, I'm grateful that President Choi could tell that I had been working hard. He asked me what I would be working on for the rest of my mission. I told him that I would be even more bold when I was talking with people. Sister Choi, as usual, was concerned about my health as Summer was coming. I honestly don't like the heat at all, but I will be working on being cheerful even when it's hot. After the Zone Meeting and interviews, Sister Pingree, Sister Eaton, my companion, and I went to the chapel to figure out what to do for the musical number for the next day. Yes, we had no idea what to do even it was the day before Elder Hansen, a General Authority, came to visit our mission. President Choi wanted Sister Eaton to play the Xes-phone and Sister Pingree to play the violin. My companion, who has an amazing voice, was going to sing, and I was going to play the piano. We tried out a few music sheets to see which one would be the best, and we decided to "O, my Father". My sight reading skill had always been pretty good, and I never thought that I would be able to figure out a 6 page music in 15 minutes after not learning the piano for over 4 years. I know that Heavenly Father blessed me with the ability to play the piano because I was willing to use my gift that He had given me to serve. Back home, I was really awful that I wouldn't help if it was a last minute thing. But as a missionary, I have come to love serving people in any ways that I can. That musical number was really great even though we only had 2 hours to figure out the music and to practice. I'm so grateful that I had the opportunity to perform with those talented sister missionaries.
 
Since we had to drop all the investigators that we had had, we were just knocking on doors for the past few days. We still haven't met anyone that is super prepared, but I know that as we continue to work hard and to be bold to testify of this restored gospel, Heavenly Father will bless us with miracles in His own time and in His own way. Our mission has set a goal to have 100 baptisms this month, and my companion and I really want to be a part of it. I'm not sure if we will have a baptism by the end of this month, but I know that what matters most is that we work hard to fulfill our purpose.
 
Two Sundays ago, my companion and I gave talks at Sacrament Meeting about member missionary work. And some members came up to us afterward and told us that they would want to reach out to their neighbors. A few days ago, Sister R. in the ward told us that she went to meet her new neighbor and found out that she was a member of this Church but may not be active. We went to visit her yesterday and had a great conversation. This member has been baptized for almost 18 years but still had lots of questions about the gospel, so we got to teach her the Restoration. And she is Chinese, so I took the opportunity to ask her some gospel terms in Mandarin.
 
Last night, we had a small miracle. After having dinner with members, I told my companion that we should go see Helaman (name changed). We found him tracting a few weeks ago, and he was really nice. Since then, we had tried to see him twice but never caught him home. I wasn't even sure if it was a prompting, but we decided that we would just go. And he just got home 5 minutes before we knocked on his door. He told us that he had not read the pamphlet we left him, so we bore testimony to him that he would find greater purpose in his life if he would read the Restoration pamphlet. He said he would try, but it probably would take some time as English was his second language. At that time, I knew why I was carrying a simplified Chinese pamphlet all day. We met two Chinese people that afternoon, but for some reason, I just didn't feel like I should hand out the pamphlet to either of them. That pamphlet was meant to be given to Helaman. He was so happy to see that Chinese pamphlet and said he would read it. I don't know if he will become an investigator, but we will be praying to know when would be another good time to stop by.
 
This morning, we had the opportunity to go to the Temple. I could just feel the peace whenever I'm in the Temple. I know that it's the House of the Lord. I wanted to have a question in mind so that I would be able to receive revelation there. But I didn't know what I needed to know at this time, so I just prayed that Heavenly Father would let me know the things that he wanted me to know. When I was in the Temple, I realized that I had only been thinking about how to bring people to the waters of baptism but didn't really think about helping people to prepare for entering the Temple. Baptism is just the first step of going back to live with our Father in Heaven. We want to be able to help all our brothers and sisters prepare to go to the Temple, so that they could obtain other ordinances for themselves and could perform saving ordinances for their ancestors.
 
It has been a blessing to be able to serve a full-time mission. I never thought I would serve a mission, but I'm so glad that I came. I used to think that girls who went on a mission were crazy. Who would sacrifice 18 months of their lives to go on a mission? But now, I don't even think I can say I have sacrificed a lot. I just want to thank my Father in Heaven for giving me so many blessings on my mission. I have met lots of wonderful people and have learned a lot from them. I have been given many chances to bear my testimony. I have learned how to be a better member missionary when I get off my mission. I have come to know my Savior better. I have seen people change when they accepted Christ to be a part of their lives. Missions are just wonderful! We are truly blessed to have this restored gospel in our lives. Please continue to pray for opportunity to share it with those around you.
 
Love,
Sister Leung
Sister Pingree and I.

No comments:

Post a Comment