Friday, June 13, 2014

Prayer. Seek. Listen.

Hi all,
 
This past week was a bit rough since we couldn't find even one new investigator. People just wouldn't set up an appointment with us even though we testified to them how important this gospel was. Well, I believe that people who are truly prepared will be able to recognize that we are indeed representatives of Jesus Christ and will want to listen to the message we have to share. Our investigator Peter (name changed), who threw away all the alcohol bottles a couple weeks ago, has been doing great. We taught him once last week with Elder and Sister Bingham. Peter asked a lot of good questions about our moral standard. I think that he was touched by the Spirit during that lesson and knew that we were really there helping him to come closer to Christ. He expressed his gratitude to us a few times before we left his house. And he came to church yesterday!!! He wasn't there yet when Sacrament meeting started. My companion and I were disappointed that he may have slept in or something. But throughout out the meeting, I kept praying in my heart that he would come. And he showed up 15 minutes before the Sacrament meeting ended. He stayed there for Sunday school also, but then he had to go home as he hadn't finished his work yet. He told us that he would try to finish work quickly so that he could come to the Member and Missionary Fireside in the evening.
 
Last Friday, we visited Sister P. in our ward as usual. She has been a member of the Church of about 3 years but asked us to reteach all the lessons, so that's what we have been doing. But this time, her non-member son sat in the lesson. We were talking about the Gospel of Jesus Christ, which was just a great lesson for everyone as all of us need the Atonement and need to understand that we can all be forgiven through sincere repentance. He looked super tired and didn't seem to be interested, yet we invited both of them to come to the fireside, and they said they would consider it. The day before the fireside, we texted him to invite him to the fireside, and he said "I'm already planning on going to the fireside". We were so excited as it wasn't easy to get people to go.
 
The Member and Missionary Fireside went well. Sadly, Peter didn't make it there. We were really glad that Sister P. and her son came though. And as missionaries, we had to get there early to have choir practice, and I was excited about it. I now LOVE singing. And I was even happier when I saw my trainer as I walked up the stand! I really almost scream (I'm so glad I didn't as we were in the chapel). It has been more than 5 months since I last saw my mom (trainer) as we never served close to each other. I seriously prayed that she would get to find someone to come to the fireside so that I would get to see her:) During the fireside, I was looking around to see if anyone I taught in previous areas was there, and I saw my favorite investigators there! I didn't get the chance to say hi to them afterward, but I'm just so glad that they were there to feel the Spirit and to listen to others' testimonies. I know that they will be baptized in the near future.
 
Last District Meeting, my companion and I were asked to give a training on "How to make our prayers more powerful and meaningful?". It was a good opportunity for me to study about prayer and to reflect on the way I used to pray. Back home, I was so terrible at praying. My mom could basically recite my prayer as I just said the exact same thing every time. It was real bad. On my mission, I have been learning how to pray. Yet, I noticed that sometimes my prayers were too general. I would pray that we could have a baptism or our investigators would progress towards baptism. But I think it would be better if I pray to know what I have to do to help them to gain a testimony of the Book of Mormon. Baptisms won't just happen when we are not fulfilling our responsibility as missionaries. And attitude is the key. We all have times that we just don't want to pray or are mad at God when we pray. I have done it multiple times in my life. And I can testify that being mad at Heavenly Father in your prayer won't do you any good. Prayer is not a tool for us to complain but is a way for us to submit our will to God's. "Wherefore, brethren, seek not to counsel the Lord, but to take counsel from his hand. For behold, ye yourselves know that he counseleth in wisdom, and in justice, and in great mercy, over all his works" (Jacob 4:10).
Our mission has set a goal to have 100 baptisms this month, and we all fasted for it yesterday. It's a pretty high goal, but I know that it's achievable as baptism is something that Heavenly Father wants. He will be guiding us if we humble ourselves and seek for His will.
 
Time really flies! In a few days, I will hit my one year mark. The decision of going on a mission has changed my life for the better. Even until today, I'm still expressing thanks to my best friend who helped me to find out if I should serve a mission. She doesn't even remember what she said to me. And it was just a really simple sentence, but it was exactly what I needed to hear. I'm grateful to be called to the Washington Seattle Mission and know it's the right place for me. I'm thankful to have the restored gospel in my life and am grateful that I can share it with others, and I would invite you to do the same.
 
Love,
Sister Leung

With my mom (trainer).
 

No comments:

Post a Comment