Friday, June 13, 2014

Are you worthy?

Hi all,
 
My first week in Overlake was wonderful. We had 5 lessons with member present. I don't think I had had that many in a week before. Members are really important in lessons. I have seen people change when they hear members bearing their testimony of the restored gospel. I honestly was not a good member missionary at all back home that I would wait until missionaries asked me to fellowship. But as members of the Church, we all have the responsibilities to do missionary work. And one of the ways to do it is to introduce yourself to people who come to Church for the first time. We all need to feel loved and welcomed. A hand shake can really make a huge difference!
 
Before I got transferred to this area, missionaries were teaching a guy named Peter (name changed). He was so prepared to hear this gospel. Missionaries didn't even teach the Word of Wisdom yet but just told him that we didn't drink alcohol as they saw lots of alcohol bottles on his counter. A couple days later, the YSA Elders tracted into him while he was about to go throw away all his bottles. He is really willing to learn and has been keeping commitments!
 
I'm very thankful that I can have a fresh start. My companion and I have been getting along well. This is her last transfer... which means I probably would stay here with another companion next transfer. I'm really trying hard to learn the area. Everyone knows that I'm the worst at direction, so I have been paying as much attention as I can whenever my companion is driving, just in case my next companion doesn't have a GPS. My companion is a wonderful singer and is famous for that in the mission. After being with her for a few days, I realized that I actually loved singing! We now almost sing all day.
 
Yesterday was my first Sunday in the Overlake ward. I got to meet some members even though lots of people were out of town for the Memorial day weekend. They got really excited when I told them
 
I was from Hong Kong. Surprisingly, most of them had been to Hong Kong a few times and all of them loved it! I still haven't heard from anyone that they had bad experiences in Hong Kong:)
 
Ah... I almost forget to mention the exchange I had last Saturday. I went to Beverlake with Sister Eaton. We certainly had a good time there. She was trained by my last companion Sister Capener in North Creek, so we got a lot to talk about. Sister Eaton is truly an amazing missionary. She is soooooo obedient. We discussed what we had learned from this past Zone Conference and how we could implement the teachings. We both liked how President Choi reminded us to repent daily. It wasn't something I had been doing before, and I usually would wait until I made a really big mistake. But as missionaries, our worthiness would definitely affect out effectiveness and the understanding of our investigators, as said in Preach My Gospel. President Choi has asked us to ask ourselves "Are you worthy?" each day. I really like Alma 36 and have read it many times, it says in verse 24 "Yea, and from that time even until now, I have labored without ceasing, that I might bring souls unto repentance; that I might bring them to taste of the exceeding joy of which I did taste; that they might also be born of God, and be filled with the Holy Ghost". It is clear that when we have repented of our sins, we can have exceeding joy. There is no way we can hide our mistakes from God, and Jesus Christ has already suffered for all of us, so why don't we just repent speedily when we make a mistake?
 
I hope you all have a good week and will pray for missionary opportunity!
 
Love,
Sister Leung

No comments:

Post a Comment