Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Learning to be patient, humble and teachable


Hi all,

The past week started off really bad, but I'm glad that it ended up a pretty good week. And I've learned so much in the past few days.

For the whole week, we spent the whole afternoon tracting as we didn't really have any investigators to teach. And I can't describe how hard it was to walk uphill and downhill for 4 hours under the heat. It has been pretty hot which was about 30 degrees Celsius, and everyone knows that anything above 20 would be too hot for me, so the heat has been killing me! And I lost my temper for the first time since I came on my mission. When my companion said that we would tract again if our evening appointment fell through, I just kind of shouted at her that I wouldn't tract again no matter what happened! It was the biggest mistake I have made for the past 2 months. And I knew that the Lord wouldn't help us with our work if I didn't repent, so I prayed for forgiveness that night that I wouldn't do that again.

Even though I'm not afraid of tracting anymore, it isn't my favorite thing to do as most people don't give us a chance to say anything. And almost every week, we would be told by some people that we were misled. This happened again on Saturday during tracting. A guy told us that Jesus Christ never lived, and the Bible was a fiction. and the Book of Mormon was a story that stolen and published by Joseph Smith. I was like "WHAT?!! What are you talking about?" I knew that the only thing we could say was to testify what we knew was true. He told us that we were totally misled, and he was there to teach us how to be smart. I admit that I was a bit mad when he said that we were misled, but 5 seconds later I didn't care about it. WE SHOULD NEVER CARE ABOUT WHAT OTHERS THINK ABOUT US MORE THAN OUR HEAVENLY FATHER DOES. I know without any doubt that Jesus Christ is our Savior and Redeemer, and the fullness of the gospel was restored through the Prophet Joseph Smith. There is no way I can deny that.

Last Saturday, we and our Elders did service for a family. The mom has been inactive for a long time, and she didn't really know much about Jesus Christ. So we talked with her about the Gospel while doing service. The dad wasn't a member, and the Elders has been teaching him. They were really nice people, but the problem was they never stopped working even while we were teaching them. Four of us said that we gotta be bold next time to let them know that the message we have to share is important that they have to stop doing anything during the lesson. I think I can be bold, and my companion and I are going to tell the mom that she must stay for the 3 hour of Church but not going home to work after Sacrament meeting. I know that keeping the Sabbath day holy is a commandment of God, and I have experienced the huge blessing coming from it. And I know that it is something God wants from her, so we need to help her understand the importance of keeping the commandment. It takes courage to do so, but I know that we should never fear men over God.

In my last email, I only mentioned that we had a new Elder named Elder Larson since I didn't know him much. We got to know him a bit more the past week. And he is really amazing. He always has something funny to tell, but he is super focus on his purpose, and he knows why he is on a mission. Last Fast Sunday was his first Sunday in our ward, and he just went up to bear his testimony. My companion and I said that we should do it next Fast Sunday:) And yesterday before the Sacrament meeting started, Elder Larson just walked around to get to know the members of the ward. My companion and I were amazed by it. It took me almost 8 weeks to get to know most members because I was shy... But now I really enjoy greeting members outside the chapel every Sunday, and I think I should learn from Elder Larson's example to get to know people when I get transferred to another ward.

I guess you may remember who Sister Kim is as I have mentioned her in my past two blog entries. She is the BEST friend of missionaries. She is always excited about missionary work, and she has been praying and fasting for missionary opportunity. Last Wednesday afternoon, Sister Kim told us that we should drop by her house in the evening as her Korean friend would come over to her house with her daughter. So we went by, and her friend was there as her daughter practiced piano at Sister Kim's house every other day. Sister Kim invited her friend to talk with us, and she said that she has been to a few Christian Churches before, but she never knew which one was true. And she asked some questions about the God Head. We didn't get to talk a lot since we had another appointment that evening, but we are going over to discuss more this evening. Sister Kim is definitely the BEST example of member missionary. If every member can be so into missionary work like her, I think we won't have to knock on doors to find people to teach. I know that members are important to missionary work, and I pray that you all will look for opportunity to share the gospel with your friends, non-member family members, and neighbors.

I'm running out of time, but I want to share a scripture that I applied to my life the past week. In Jacob 4:10, it says "Wherefore, brethren, seek not to counsel the Lord, but to take counsel from His hand. For behold, ye yourselves know that he counseleth in wisdom, and in justice, and in great mercy, over his works". We should seek the Lord's will and act on it, and I know that He knows what is the BEST for us. And we can avoid making mistakes if we listen and follow His will. I know from experience that the more humble you are, the more the Lord is willing to help you.

Love,

Sister Leung

No comments:

Post a Comment