Wednesday, July 10, 2013

1 month down!

Time flies! It has been more than a month since I left home for the MTC.
 
This week has been rough, but I can tell that we did so much better than our first two weeks. I didn't knock on more than 3 doors for the first two weeks because I was scared to death. I jumped whenever I heard people coming to the door. And my brain went blank also. So I didn't say a word unless the person could only speak Mandarin. For the past week, we had a goal that we had to take turn in knocking on doors! I knew I had to do it. If I didn't knock on doors, what was the point to serve a mission? So we tried. I was so scared at first, and I just prayed in my heart that I would know what I needed to say when someone opened the door. And I did say something but I just didn't know what I was saying. My companion said I did a good job even though that person didn't show any interest in learning more about the gospel, but I told her that I didn't even know what I had said. All I know is that we can be led by the Spirit if we ask for it. I think I'll never feel comfortable with talking to people on the street or knocking on doors, but at least I'll not hesitate to do so out of fear. I know that everyone needs the Gospel. We as missionaries are here to offer them the restored Gospel, but people have their agency to choose whether to accept or reject our message. My former Mission President assured us that there are thousands of people who are ready for the Gospel. It's still hard for my companion and I to imagine that since we couldn't find anyone to teach for the past 3 weeks. But I know that we wouldn't be here if nobody is going to listen to the message we have.
 
Last Tuesday, we taught a former investigator. He was an educated guy in his 20's. I started the lesson with "How to begin teaching". We gave an overview of what we were going to teach. And after we taught the Plan Of Salvation, he said he had no questions about that. But then he asked a lots of questions about the Restoration, Joseph Smith, and the Book of Mormon. My companion extended the invitation of reading the Book of Mormon, he refused. He said the Bible is enough, and he couldn't accept that the Book of Mormon is comparable to the Bible. Well, I said that we were here to teach the truth, but he could choose whether to accept and act on the message we shared. I just couldn't understand why people could say things against the Book of Mormon without reading it!
 
I don't have much time left. But I want to share something funny happened last Wednesday. We had English class that night. There was a lady that could speak both Cantonese and Mandarin. I was so excited to talk with her in my native language. But as I started using Cantonese to introduce myself, I realized how weird my intonation was, and she looked at me also... And 1 minute later, I noticed that I was speaking in Mandarin....., I couldn't even believe it! Maybe what Elder Wu said was right, my Mandarin will be better than my Cantonese when I come back.... And I have just told him that I'm not going to laugh at his Cantonese anymore...... I'm wondering when I can speak Cantonese again...
 
Love,
Sister Leung

No comments:

Post a Comment