Friday, December 20, 2013

Diligence. Prayer. Miracle.

Hi all,
 
We finally got to meet with our Chinese investigator Lily last week! We didn't get to meet with her for over two weeks. We were so worried that she would drop us, but we continued to pray that she would have the desire to learn more as we really knew that she was ready to hear the gospel. This time I was so much prepared to teach. I got the permission to study Mandarin with Brother Fish from a different ward in our Stake the night before our appointment with Lily. Brother Fish is really awesome. He served his mission in Taiwan more than 10 years ago but could still speak really good Mandarin. He showed me the teaching material he got from the MTC. It was so helpful. Since most people in Taiwan didn't really have a Christian background, Brother Fish had learned how to teach in a different way than we normally do. He showed me how to do a door approach when the person didn't have a Christian background and taught me lots of gospel terms. And I got permission to study Mandarin by myself 30 minutes each day besides P-day and weekly planning day. The lesson with Lily went really well. I remember Elder Yeip gave me a Priesthood Blessing at my first transfer that I would be given the gift of tongues, and I really know that I was blessed with the ability to speak the language. Instead of teaching the Restoration, I went back to the basis - God and Jesus Christ. Lily didn't grow up with any religion but believed that there was a God. She knew a little about Jesus Christ since she started having bible study with her friends a couple months ago. I explained to her the role of Jesus Christ in the Plan of Salvation, and she liked it. My companion and I both bore testimony to her that she could only know if our message was true through prayers. She was really hesitant about it, so I extended the commitment at least 3 times in different ways throughout the whole lesson. I told her that our message was either true or not, and I didn't think that she would still want to meet with us if it wasn't true. And then she said " I think your message is true." I was like "Wow!". Still, we invited her to pray to gain a confirmation from the Spirit. She is going to China this Sunday and won't be back until January 14, but she said that she would read over the pamphlet and pray. It was totally a miracle. I'm grateful that I could teach her in her native language. I'm grateful for the Spirit's presence so that I could know what inspired questions I should ask and when should I bear testimony.

After the lesson, we drove to the Bothell Church building as we had a Christmas dinner with missionaries in 3 other zones. I was so happy that I got to talk with some missionaries that I served with before. It was just a very fun time. Each zone had to give a singing performance at the Chapel after dinner. Our Zone Leaders had invited missionaries in the zone to sing "I am a child of God" in their native language, so I sang it in Cantonese. I was nervous to death as I was singing in front of the Mission Presidency and over 100 missionaries. Lots of people complimented on my singing. Um... I guess the Spirit can really hide the sour notes.
 
We went to the Temple for Endowment this morning. I was so excited that I got to go back to my last area. I felt great peace inside the Temple. My Seminary teacher has told me that it is a privilege to be able to go inside the Temple, and now I really do understand that it's a blessing to be in the Temple. I love the Temple and know that it's the house of the Lord.
 
Our next P-day will be on December 25, but we are not going to email. We are still waiting for our leaders to tell us the details of skyping or calling family on that day. I wish you all have a wonderful Christmas. And may we all remember the true meaning of Christmas.
 
Love,
Sister Leung
 
They are the BEST cookies ever!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment